The Management Undergraduate Society (MUS) represents all full and part time undergraduate students enrolled at the Desautels Faculty of Management. It is the responsibility of the MUS executive to protect the interests of its shareholders (BCom students) and to proactively improve the student experience at Desautels. There are over 35 MUS committees and 11 MUS clubs that organize countless student activities every year. The MUS also offers six student services and academic representation to the faculty and the university. We have the highest student involvement rate of any other student society on campus. With a participation rate of 50-percent of our student body, the quality and caliber of our events and services are exceptional. As a result, the MUS has received the Faculty Association of the Year award at McGill five times in the past ten years.
MUS COUNCIL LONG TERM VISION:
• To improve academic competitiveness and performance in inter-university competition consistent with top business schools.
• To improve communication to and feedback from our students in moving towards a more transparent, inclusive MUS.
• To move towards a more environmentally sustainable academic curriculum, building and operations.
• To maximize the professional development offered to our students.
• To strengthen relations between the MUS and both its alumni network and corporate partners.
MUS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The MUS Board of Directors are elected officials that represent the Desautels student body.
• President & Chairman
• U3 Representative
• U2 Representative
• U1 Representative, Second Year
• U1 Representative, First Year
• U0 Representative
• 2 SSMU Representatives
• Management Senator
• Ombudsperson (Non-Voting, Appointed)
MUS EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
PRESIDENT & CHAIRMAN
The President of the Executive Council and Chairman of the Board oversees all operations of the MUS, acts as the external spokesperson, and leads the strategic direction of the MUS.
The VP Academic is the primary student advocate in the Desautels Faculty of Management on affairs regarding the BCom academic curriculum and Career Services. This portfolio also consists of academic events.
• Undergraduate Program Committee (UPC)
• Academic Committee (AC) & Faculty Council (FC)
• Career Services Advisory Council (CSAC)
• Academic Policy & Involvement Committee (APIC)
• Desautels Management Achievement Awards (DMAA)
• MUS Tutorial Services
• Meet Your Professors
• Majors and Concentrations Fair
The VP Communications is the Chief Marketing Officer and the internal spokesperson of the MUS, responsible for upholding the Branding Guidelines and ensuring all clubs & committees can communicate effectively with students.
• Brand Management
• Website & Social Media
• Mass email
• The Bull & Bear (B&B)
• McGill Students Business Review (MSBR)
• Widget (Yearbook)
• Elections Committee
The VP Competitions is responsible for all case-based competition at Desautels, both with internal events and external delegations.
• Desautels Management Competitions Committee (DMCC)
- Jeux du Commerce (JDC)
- Financial Open (FO)
- Happening Marketing (HM)
• MUS Case League
• Desautels Management Leadership Seminar (DMLS)
• Desautels Preparatory Case Competition (DPCC)
VP CORPORATE RELATIONS
The VP Corporate Relations is responsible for positioning the MUS and its various events to corporate partners, overseeing the Corporate Sales Team to maximize sponsorship revenues for every event. The VP CR is further responsible for ensuring all Accounts Receivable for the MUS, as well as building relationships.
• Corporate Sales Team
• Accounts Receivable
The VP Events is the Chief Risk Officer of the MUS, working with committees to ensure social events are safe, collaborating productively with stakeholders, and sustainable to continue in the future. They serve as a high-level event planning resource, maintaining relationships with a variety of venues & suppliers.
• Management Frosh
• Winter Carnival & Hype Week
• Cancer Auction
• Desautels Events Portfolio (DEP)
• 4a7 Faculty Bar
• Bronfman Ball
The VP Finance is the Chief Financial Officer of the MUS, as well as the Corporate Treasurer. This makes the position the head accountant of a million dollar company; ensuring thousands of transactions are properly recorded and reconciled for an expedient reimbursement process & eventual audit. They are further responsible for analyzing event budgets for risk, and determining maximum subsidies for clubs.
• Financial Services
• MUS Annual Report
• MUS Financial Consultants
• Audited Financial Statements
• MUS Finance Committee
• Fund Management
• Accounts Receivable
The VP Internal is responsible for ensuring all Recognized MUS clubs and MUS Conferences are operating efficiently. The VP Internal, with the President, is further responsible for liaising with the Faculty on club room bookings and the Desautels Career Services on all affairs relating to MUS Recognized Clubs and Conferences. Moreover, the VP Internal is responsible for Dave Store’s operations, merchandising, and product offerings.
• MUS Recognized Clubs
• MUS Conferences
• Dave’s Store
• Clubs & Activities Night
• Room Bookings
VP DEVELOPMENT & OUTREACH
The VP D&O is responsible for all outreach initiatives in the MUS. The VP D&O leads the Desuatels Outreach Committee (DOC) in incubating and launching the outreach initiatives of MUS members, as well as the activities of all established MUS committees and events with outreach or philanthropic focuses.
• 5 Days for the Homeless
• Desautels Outreach Committee (DOC)
• First Year Involvement Team (FIT)
• Junior Enterprise Desautels (JED)
• Penny Drops